In our Physical Education lessons at Burnley High School we aim to ensure that all pupils develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities, are physically active for sustained periods of time, engage in competitive sports and activities and lead healthy, active lives.
Key Stage 3
During Key Stage 3 pupils will build on and embed the physical development and skills learned in Key Stages 1 and 2. Pupils will become more competent and confident in their use of techniques and will be able to apply them across different sports and physical activities. Pupils will understand what makes a performance effective and how to apply these principles to their own and others’ work. They will develop the confidence and interest to get involved in exercise, sports and activities out of school and in later life and understand and apply the long-term health benefits of physical activity.
At KS3 pupils are taught to:
- use a range of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in direct competition through team and individual games
- develop their technique and improve their performance in other competitive sports
- perform dances using advanced dance techniques within a range of dance styles and forms
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activities which present intellectual and physical challenges and be encouraged to work in a team, building on trust and developing skills to solve problems, either individually or as a group
- analyse their performances compared to previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
- take part in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs
At KS3 pupils have two one-hour PE lessons a week, where each half term pupils will experience different indoor and outdoor sports/activities. Games lessons includes activities such as Football, Netball, Badminton, Hockey, Gymnastics, Dance, Rugby, Basketball, Volleyball, Handball, Rounders, Athletics, Cricket and Table Tennis.
Key Stage 4
During KS4 pupils select activities that best suit their individual sporting needs. In Year 10 and 11 students have 3 hours of PE over two weeks. A wide variety of activities are available for every pupil to explore and enjoy to promote a heathy, active lifestyle.
In KS4 pupils are taught to:
- use and develop a variety of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in team and individual games.
- develop their technique and improve their performance in other competitive sports, or other physical activities.
- take part in further outdoor and adventurous activities in a range of environments which present intellectual and physical challenges and which encourage pupils to work in a team, building on trust and developing skills to solve problems, either individually or as a group.
- evaluate their performances compared to previous ones and demonstrate improvement across a range of physical activities to achieve their personal best
- continue to take part regularly in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs.
PE Road Maps:
Please note, every subject exercise book your child has contains a subject ‘Burnley High Road Map’ that outlines the content covered, timelines and assessment points for the current year.